Saturday, January 17, 2009

A night at Old Towne Pub Pasadena with UCP, Power Cords, Get Set Go

I headed off to catch Underwater City People, Power Cords and Get Set Go at Old Towne Pub Sunday night, 11 January. I’ve followed two of the bands (Underwater City People and Get Set Go) for awhile. It was a last second show. It was a farewell for Sarah, who is Mike TV’s girlfriend. I’m not friends with Sarah (though I do know who she is), but I was happy to show up and catch the show. What was cool about the night was that there were only three bands – what is so cool about that? Well, the night started off at 9:15 p.m. and ended at around 12:15 a.m., which meant that each band had an approximate 45 minute set. That is what was so cool about the night. Underwater City People started it off. It being a last minute gig, per them, they hadn’t practiced. None the less, it was a great set. (Amusing moment: for one song they had to talk things over for a moment to figure out exactly how to get the song going.) For Underwater City People, I believe they played a set list that was requested by Sarah. The Power Cords were up next. This is a band that I’ve heard of, but never seen. For some reason, they reminded me of another local band called New Fidelity. They are a four piece band. Their sound is semi-similar to New Fidelity. They call themselves avant garde post-post rock. I have no clue what that means. I will mention that on their myspace page, New Fidelity is one of their top friends so perhaps it isn’t just my imagination thinking that the two bands sound similar. Like New Fidelity most of the band members share vocals though perhaps for Power Cords it is more of a shared responsibility versus New Fidelity where there is more of a lead vocalist with the other guys doing backup vocals. As for Get Set Go, they started their set with a cover song from The Cure. I have to say that Mike TV is one of the coolest musicians in the Los Angeles area. During both UCP and Power Cords, he was out in front pogo dancing to the music. I was at another Get Set Go show where he was the only person standing near the stage for the first band of the night. Get Set Go also mainly played a set list requested by Sarah. Towards the end, Sarah tossed out a couple other requests and after that the night ended.

No comments: