Thursday, January 8, 2009

Movie Review: Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Straight out: sorry about this review.

Based on looking at Yahoo, I know this is a well liked movie by audiences. Currently, it has an A-. As for me, I was bored stiff. (Last year, I had the same reaction to Sweeney Todd. People loved the movie, but I walked out of the movie bored.) After an hour, I was looking at the time. This is a rather bad sign when the movie is nearly 3 hours long.

To me, the movie was going through the motions between the various stages of the Benjamin/Daisy relationship. The relationship moments I loved -- except for the last scenes, which to me just made the movie look silly. The whole tug boat, World War II portion of the movie felt like some useless side story. I will attack one part of the Benjamin/Daisy storyline. The part where Benjamin re-creates the moments before Daisy's accident in Paris. Oh mercy. Was this five minutes long? It felt like an hour. (Note: it is interesting how a drawn out moment like this bored me, but there were scenes in another movie called Rachel Getting Married that were probably even more drawn out that I simply loved.)

And is it me or did this movie seem to have an anti-George Bush feel. Was the whole Hurricane Katrina moment meant as a dig at George Bush? If so, another attack on this movie for having a useless political bent. Or perhaps Katrina had some over-arching meaning to the movie that I totally missed.

Anyways, I can't say this is an awful movie due to the fact that it felt like such a well made movie. I will say I don't consider it Oscar worthy and rate it as an average movie -- not the best movie of the year, but also not ranking with the worst.

No comments: