Thursday, January 15, 2009

Book Review: The Narrows by Michael Connelly

I just finished reading the book, The Narrows, written by Michael Connelly. This book was written back in 2004/2005 so I am a bit late to the read. It is a crime novel that continues with the Harry Bosch character. I believe this is my fourth Michael Connelly book. The first time I read Michael Connelly was back in 1997-ish. I was staying at my cousin’s mother-in-law’s house and I noticed one of Connelly’s books. (I believe it was The Last Coyote. I’ve also read Trunk Music and City of Bones.)

The Narrows is a sequel to another of his book’s The Poet. I haven’t gotten around to reading The Poet, but that wasn’t a hindrance. I didn’t realize this book was a sequel though I figured it out rather quickly. Connelly provided enough references were I felt I had a decent enough back story to not find myself confused to death. (I would have realized the book was a sequel if I’d paid more attention when I bought the book, but it was on the discount table when I saw it and since I like Connelly I just picked it up without paying much attention to what the storyline might be.)

For The Narrows, you know who the killer is so there isn’t a who-done-it element to the book. The joy of the book is following Harry Bosch and his FBI ally Rachel Walling as they attempt to track down The Poet. Connelly gives the readers insights into what is happening before the main characters figure out the same facts. For example, the FBI puts a GPS tracking device on Rachel Walling’s car. They do this to use her as a potential bait should The Poet target her. You know this long before Walling figures it out. So in one sense it makes you feel smarter than the two characters and in another it makes you want to read further to see how the characters learn about these various facts.

Over-all, this is a great book. My only problem with the book was the next to the last chapter. This chapter does wrap up the first half storyline in the book, but it also seemed tacked on. Connelly did provide clues during the first half that helps back-up the conclusions made in the chapter so there isn’t a where-did-that-come-from feel to it. It is just that as the book raced towards figuring out The Poet’s next move, I “forgot” about the first half of the book and therefore I had the feeling that so did Bosch and Walling. My only wish was that there were more references regarding Bosch’s and Walling’s thinking on the earlier storyline during the back half of the book. It is a minor issue and hardly prevented me from enjoying the book.

Soon enough I hope to read another Connelly book. It looks like the next Connelly book will be Angels Flight. I bought it at a dollar book store. Of interest, it is signed by Connelly.

No comments: