Monday, February 11, 2008

A Church

I was invited to attend the Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, CA recently. As I walked towards the church, all I saw was a sea of Caucasians. It actually felt extremely weird. I felt like I was walking into a foreign land. I admit that this feeling could have been a result of this being my first time at this church. On the other hand, this is California. We're rather diverse in California. As the service started up, I looked around. I'd have to say that the church is 90% white, 8% Asian and 2% Latino/Black. I did look at their website and noticed that they do have a Spanish ministry, but I also noticed that other than the Spanish pastor, all the pastors (and there are 15 listed on the website) are white males. The service itself didn't cause me any issues. I mean, it is a Protestant church, so there is the outline, which includes music, offering, sermon, prayer. All standard fare. The sermon itself was very interesting. I just couldn't get over the fact that this church seemed so largely Caucasian in California.

Notes from Vivace

No comments: