Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The Paranoyds and Moon Honey at the Levitt Pavillion

I'm not going to lie, I think I'm addicted to The Paranoyds. The more I think about it, the reason I'm addicted to them is because they remind me of an old Los Angeles favorite band of mine called The Randies.

The last two times I've seen them, they've played as a four piece. I wasn't sure, but I figured that maybe their keyboardist had decided to call it quits. It was explained during their set that she was off with her side band. A band from Finland?

One has to say that Staz, the bassist, provides the humor in the band. When her dress was falling down her body as she jumped around the stage, she said, "This song is called Beyonce live streaming."  And then to downplay their great music, she said towards the end, "At least you're in MacArthur Park. We're done playing. We have merch and I'm selling some hairballs, too." The hairballs comment was in reference to the fact that at the end of the set, one could see her trying to get a strand of hair out of her mouth.

The Paranoyds
Closing out the night was Moon Honey. This band combines visuals with dissonant vocals. Their fashion sense makes you think of royalty visiting from a far away planet. The lights play into this as you think of Thor traveling through the Bifrost Bridge (okay, I'm not a Marvel expert so had to look up that term). And then Jess' vocals are dissonant to the core, making you think of what the future space aliens will bring to earth in terms of a cultural exchange.

Moon Honey

No comments: