Thursday, May 24, 2018

The Redwood Bar: ALÉ, Symbol Six and Broken Baby

If anyone should ever wonder, I do tend to pay attention to who follows me on Instagram. This applies to Broken Baby. They followed me on Instagram and I eventually was able to catch one of their sets at The Redwood Bar.

First up on the night was ALÉ. This band lives in the Boyle Heights area and brought their East Los Angeles rock to DTLA. What I couldn't help but notice was that the lead guitarist was using a wireless electric guitar. It gave the guy a lot of freedom to move around. In fact, he spent half his time out on the floor of the Redwood Bar. I say more bands should do this.

ALE

Symbol Six was up next. This punk rock band had it going. They had the head bandana. They knew how to move it on stage. They had the experience of putting on shows.

Symbol Six

Though Broken Baby followed me on Instagram, I have to admit I didn't do much research on them before heading out to catch them at The Redwood Bar. I just say, "Hey, I want to catch this band." When I got there, I thought, "They're going to be a shoegaze band." Was I in for a surprise. They take their cue, according to their Facebook page, from musicians/bands such as Cyndi Lauper and The Pretenders. I'd throw in Bananarama in there, as well. Broken Baby has this edgy pop sound going for them.

The Broken Baby


No comments: