Wednesday, April 20, 2016

A BROKE LA Band Interview: Annuals


Photo Credit: Sebastien Vilensky
What was once Brokechella is now BROKE LA. The 2016 BROKE LA Music and Arts Festival kicks off on April 23rd. If you’ve gone to Brokechella over the last couple years, it should be noted that they’re moving locations to 695 S. Santa Fe Avenue. So still on the same street, but just a bit south of the previous location. I got the opportunity to attend the Broke LA Artist and Media Mixer recently at Delicious Pizza and got to interview Annuals. (I also got to interview Salt Petal and DWNTWN. The Salt Petal interview will be posted later while the DWNTWN interview was already posted.) I also got to scarf down a few slices of awesome pizza.

Annuals
I got to talk briefly with Annuals before they had to do a BROKE LA interview. I got to talk with Adam (founder, songwriter, vocals) and Jordan (guitar, backup vocals). Though it was a brief interview, I uncovered a cool connection with the band – Adam is from North Carolina and I went to school in North Carolina.

Question:
So tell me about Annuals.
Answer:
Adam/Jordan: Annuals started in 2005. We’ve had ever changing lineups. The band started in North Carolina. It relocated to Los Angeles 3 years ago. Adam is from North Carolina. Jordan is from Texas. Another member of our band, Eric, is also from North Carolina.

Question:
Adam, the question that must always be asked from someone who lives/lived in North Carolina: are you a Carolina fan or a Duke fan?
Answer:
Adam: I actually went to NC State.

Question:
Adam, did you happen to know Delta Rae – a band that came out of Duke?
Answer:
Adam: Yes. I got to know Delta Rae. When they went on tour, I was asked by the drummer if I would take over his music students for a while. I made a lot of money.

Question:
How would you describe your music?
Answer:
Adam: Grandiose Jumbo Pop

No comments: