Sunday, December 13, 2015

A Movie Review. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2. The movie opens with Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) recovering from the vicious attack from Peeta Mellark (Josh Hucherson) -- the attack that ended the Part 1 movie. At the same time, the rebels have made progress in their overthrow of the Capital. Katniss starts to find herself at odds with President Alma Coin (Julianne Moore) and her close friend Gale Hawthrone (Liam Hemsworth) over the war tactics. Coin and Gale are willing to win no matter the tactics to get to victory. Katniss insists that they do not act like the Capital.

Due to differences of opinions regarding war tactics, Coin attempts to sideline Katniss. Katniss refuses to get sidelined and manages to get her way to the Capital for the final push. This leads to some calculated intrigue as the true intentions of Coin become obvious -- both in regards to her own political future and that of Katniss.

In my past reviews of the other movies, I've basically said that I just thought the movies were okay. This is the first movie of the series that I actually enjoyed. I loved the political calculations of Coin and her view that Katniss was becoming a threat not just to the Capital, but also to her. I also enjoyed the near naive manner in which Katniss carried out her singled minded mission, but eventually caught on to the politics that surrounded her.

I think the message of the movie is: power corrupts no matter how noble the cause.

What did I not like about the movie: I will say the ending felt like the ending of Lord of the Rings -- a little too many codas.




No comments: