Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Television: The Following

I'm sorry to hear that The Following got cancelled. For those who don't know anything about The Following, it follows FBI Agent Ryan Hardy (Kevin Bacon) as he attempts to track down various serial killers. His main target in the first 2 seasons is Joe Carroll (James Purefoy). In Season 3, his initial focus is on the students of Dr. Arthur Strauss (Gregg Henry).

I will admit I almost decided not to watch Season 3. I so despised Season 2 (I can't recall the details of my hatred, I just know I hated it) that I decided to just DVR all of Season 3. I figured that I'd watch a couple episodes and if I hated it as much as Season 2, I'd just stop watching.

Well, I ended up binge watching the whole season. I loved how the season created a web of sick intrigue. Starting out with Mark (Sam Underwood), Daisy (Ruth Kearney) and Kyle (Hunter Parrish) and then it switches over to Dr. Arthur Strauss and Theo (Michael Ealy) before finally ending up on the doorstep of Eliza (Annet Mahendru). It could have felt over-whelming, but it all worked very well, settling up plausible connections between the various killers.

If I recall correctly, one of my problems with Season 2 was that timelines just didn't seem to work very well. This time, I think it worked out. Here's a small example: Kyle and Daisy are kidnapping a college student. They are in her room, leave and head for a stairwell. Ryan shows up and heads up to the dorm roof where only Kyle and the kidnapped student are on the roof. Where's Daisy? This makes no sense. Well, not shown was that Daisy headed down the stairwell to the getaway car while Ryan went to the roof. Sure, it was sort of way too coincidental that there was some roof work going on and so there was one of those garbage chutes to help Kyle escape, but at least it made plausible sense. In Season 2, I swear you'd see Daisy also heading up to the roof and then cut scene she'd be in the getaway car.

I also liked how they kept the moles to a minimum this season. Tom (Gbenga Akinnagbe) was more of a jealous type. The eventually mole -- I'll not give this one away -- made sense when associated with who was feeding the person's grand dreams.

Okay, so I have to give one negative on the season: giving Theo and Mark near Terminator like abilities to deal with gunshot wounds was a over-the-top.

No comments: