Thursday, June 11, 2015

Make Music Pasadena 2015

Sir Sly
There is a special place in my heart for Make Music Pasadena. And this time around, there was a super extra treat. The weather was perfect.

And then what made it even more awesome was how it started off. I started the festival off with Juliet Piper & The Daydream. What a find for me. She has an easy smile that wows the crowd. Her lyrics are filled with heartbreak and yet there is that smile that shows that life is still wonderful.


From there it was a quick rush around to catch BubbelehRaspin StuwartBeca and Dark Furs. Bubbeleh and Raspin Stuwart had some smooth styles. Beca hit the dance music. Dark Furs connected deep down. Lead singer Suzanne has this deep stare. I'm sure she's seeing musical notes flying across the air.

Lydia Ainsworth had actual music scores written for her band. She's the Enya for a new age. "Strange Indeed," she said. Strange, but awesome. The audience enjoyed a cool breeze during the height of the afternoon sun. Kaleo is from Iceland and yet their sound is American Southern rock. "I walk on water" and "Devil's going to set me free." Lyrics with diametric meanings.

Kishi Bashi and Sir Sly gave perhaps the most audience appreciative sets. In fact, both took the time to jump to the barricade to interact with fans. Kishi Bashi is a band that uses a violin and banjo to create awesome rock music. Sir Sly tells their audience, "I hope you find your dream, I don't owe you anything."

Making Movies did the Afro-Latino rhythms and had the audience dancing. Avid Dancer and Nick Waterhouse sent the Main State and Levitt Pavilion crowds going home with a feeling of mellow satisfaction.

I ended the day at Armory Center. I loved this venue. It really isn't a music venue. It is a museum/art center. Even so, it made for a wonderful music venue. The Most BestHobart W Fink and Tashaki Miyaki closed out the night for me. I only caught a couple songs of The Most Best, but I was left wanting to catch this bang again someday. Hobart W Fink makes you think garage rock. There is this low key vibe with Tashaki Miyaki that is just wonderful.

And so ended my time at Make Music Pasadena.

Note: I did take what is becoming my traditional break. I stopped by a bar to catch American Pharoah finally end the Triple Crown drought in wonderful style. The crowd cheered. I cheered. It was beautiful to watch.

Note 2: I think every year I've been to Make Music Pasadena, I've always made time to catch Eliza Rickman. This time, no Eliza. I'm not going to lie. I wish she was there.



Photo Gallery by QuickGallery.com

No comments: