Saturday, September 20, 2014

A Random Encounter in Santa Cruz

I'm working in the Santa Cruz area for a little while.

So I usually eat dinner in Santa Cruz.

I was walking towards my rental car after dinner.  Two young women were walking towards me.  I noticed that they held pamphlets.  I immediately thought, "They're Scientologists."  This shows my bias:  I'm from Los Angeles.  They were attractive.  From my interaction with Scientologist, I always have this impression that their proselytizers are very beautiful.

The most attractive of the women came up to me with a pamphlet held up, "I am from The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints.  Have you heard of us?"

And then I started to laugh.  I couldn't stop.  She asked, "Why are you laughing?"  I just couldn't tell her that it was because my presumption had just gotten blown out of the water.


No comments: