Monday, September 29, 2014

Total Slacker at The Crepe Place (Santa Cruz)

Total Slacker. This past week marked five workweeks in the Santa Cruz area.  It took awhile, but I finally went out to explore the Santa Cruz local music scene.  The band I decided to see is Total Slacker.  They were playing at a local restaurant called The Crepe Place.  For some reason, the stage area reminded me of Casey's in Downtown Los Angeles.  Intimate, fashioned to make you think of a by-gone era and just off from the main dining area (or in the case of Casey's, the bar area).

Total Slacker is on tour, hailing from New York.  Their Facebook page describes their sound as slimegaze.  Elsewhere, it is described as garage pop and psychedelic rock.  I like psychedelic rock.  The band has a steady and prominent timed beat that seems to structure their sound.  And they have a cool fuzzy sound.

I was approached during a break between sets.  I was asked if I was taking photos for myself or someone else.  I replied I was taking photos for Total Slacker.  I asked if he happened to be the owner of The Crepe Place.  He said no and that he was just happy to see someone out doing photography in the Santa Cruz music scene.

          



No comments: