Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Breeders' Cup: Saturday -- Nov 2, 2013


I love horse racing, but I've never gone to the Breeders' Cup.  I decided to head off to the Breeders' Cup on Saturday.  The $40 entrance fee was unexpectedly high, but the whole experience was great.  The crowds were excited.  Folks were dressed as if they were at the Kentucky Derby -- not me.  I DVRd the event and caught myself on television.  YES!!!

As for betting:  lost money.  My system didn't work all that well, but then it is hard to distinguish between horses when most of the horses are top notch.  I was also shocked at how much money folks were putting down.  As mentioned here, I only place small bets.  In fact, I was at the window and one conversation went something like this:  I'd like to put an $1 exacta bet on 7-2 (made up numbers).  Window guy:  Just $1?  Me:  I'm a small time better.  Meanwhile, I saw one guy pull out $100 from his wallet.  I couldn't help but notice his wallet was filled with $100 bills.

The most exciting moment:  the last race --  Breeders' Cup Classic.   Everyone was cheering the horses as soon as they hit the track.  When the race started and the horses were racing past the stands, the crowd was roaring.  The favorite of the crowd appeared to be Mucho Macho Man.  I think part of the reason was that they loved the name, but I think the other reason was that they were all cheering for Gary Stevens.  

No comments: