Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Santa Anita Race Track: March 10th, Sunday

What a disaster this past Sunday at Santa Anita.  I should have quit betting after the first race when nothing worked out on the betting scheme.

I don't believe I've ever lost so much money -- though I don't make big bets so someone might find my losses amusing.

I decided on a new strategy.  I mainly bet on exactas or pick 3s.  I also occasionally bet on a slight longshot to show or a trifecta if there were 3 horses that looked like they were expected to come in.

My thinking was this:  I might win less, but maybe when I did win I'd win more.

So the first race came up and I was thinking I should skip making a bet on this race as there appeared to be no real front runners.  Oh well, I decided to go for it and the slide started.

For the second race, I went with two different exactas.  One of the exactas came in -- my only exacta of the day -- so I did okay.  However, I decided to bet that a long shot would come in show.  The horse came in 4th so my upside from the exacta disappeared.

I'd say in the 3rd and 8th races, I came in close to potentially hitting an exacta but another horse came in to mess me up -- though I did select the proper order of finish (excluding that "misplaced" horse).

I was so frustrated that I just took off before I could lose even more money in the 9th race.

Here's my thinking of potential future betting:

1.  consider still doing the exactas.
2.  skip the pick 3s or daily doubles.
3.  instead of going for a longshot to come in show, pick a favorite to come in show.

Maybe this strategy will result in a bit less money loss than this past Sunday, but prove more interesting versus my pass strategies (betting carefully by just betting on horses to place or show) which usually equaled slight gains or losses.


No comments: