Monday, November 5, 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. New York Giants: 24-20

This was the second straight Steelers game that I've caught.

This one wasn't as easy as the game against the Washington Redskins.  It makes sense as the Giants are better than the Redskins.

First, I think the Giants got some favorable calls from the refs -- perhaps a little bit of pity for Hurricane Sandy?

Second, the Steelers front line allowed four sacks, an increase from last week; however, they proved themselves by helping the running game.  I do believe the front line is 2x as good as last year's version -- that is probably an exaggeration, but the front line is looking solid.

Third, Mike Wallace looked like he was no where to be found until he erupted for a touchdown.

Fourth, the Steelers defense looked awesome.  Earlier in the season, it looked like the defense just couldn't be trusted (especially in the Tennessee game -- I only caught a portion of it).  Against Washington, I thought the defense got a little lucky considering the Washington receivers couldn't seem to catch the ball.  This game was just total Steeler defense, especially in the fourth quarter where I believe the Giants had the ball three times and couldn't get a first down.

Fifth, I admit I was worried the Steelers were going to lose when they were down by 10, but even then I couldn't help but be pleased with how they were playing.  With Baltimore a bit beat up, we might actually have a good chance of winning the division.  If anything, I don't see why we can't have a solid 11-5 record come the end of the season.  12-4 I suspect is a more appropriate target.

Sixth, Sanders got taken down by the Washington kicker.  I figure, if you're going to get taken down by the kicker, at least slam into the kicker at full speed, yes?



No comments: