Thursday, June 21, 2012

Spider Problem at Redwood Bar

I first came across Spider Problem at El Cid during a Kiss or Kill Club night. Now that was a long time ago. I loved their set. Shayne Eastin went wild on stage with her stuffed animal. Watching Spider Problem was similar to taking in an action packed roller derby. Sometimes you would find yourself involved in the set when she’d throw herself full force into the audience. The band also had one entertaining blog on myspace. It was a must read. To show you what I mean, I decided to head on over to Myspace and pull one of their blog posts from March 2009. Here’s an excerpt:

Nana (the coolest person in spider problem, by the way) was using Bobby's drum kit and i'm sure we are within 5 pounds of each other...but either way i took a really gnarly fall off the kick drum. and I don't really remember anything else...


except...we met this really cool kid named Henry, I think, with the best hair i've ever seen in my entire life. taste the rainbow.

It is so stream of consciousness.

I’d follow them around every so often, catching their shows at Juanita’s, American Legion Hall in Highland Park and Redwood Bar. They then went into a stuffed animal hibernation.

On a recent Thursday night at the Down N Out bar in Downtown LA, they hit the stage after not playing for a year plus. Some things never change like the microphone stand getting tossed to the side within half a song, the head-first dive into the audience and the drum set getting destroyed at the end of the set. It made my week.

Kiss or Kill times



Current


No comments: