Friday, October 21, 2011

Dropkick Murphys and Swingin Utters at the Palladium

I got invited to catch Dropkick Murphys at the Palladium. My friend and I decided we'd go ahead of the rest of our group as they were interested in only Dropkick Murphys.  We wanted to catch one of the opening bands, which turned out to be Swingin Utters. (Here's a most amazing thing:  we found FREE parking right in front of the Palladium.  How is that for amazing?) 

The audience was ramped up.  For Swingin Utters a massive mosh pit formed in the middle of the floor.  I think Swingin Utters was even amazed by this as one of the band members comments, "We weren't expecting this kind of reaction.  Thank you so much."  As for Dropkick Murphy, they gave an awesome, pound thumping concert, but what was up with the audience.  Fights were breaking out all around me.  At one point, Dropkick Murphy called out, "What's up Los Angeles, we're doing a love song and you're fighting?"  Seriously.  I don't know what the whole story was, but Guy A just starting punching Guy B.  From those around us, Guy A was to blame.  Guy A then took off.  He then came back and starting fighting Guy B again.  Then he ran off again.  Now when things are heated, one thing perhaps not to do is to ask if everything is okay.  Guy C (next to me) called out to Guy B, "Is everything all right."  Guy B must have misinterpreted and started yelling if Guy C wanted to fight.  Guy C was like, "No no."  What a mess.

Anyways, toward the end of the concert, I got a head butt.  It was all good though.  The guy was playing and I was able to protect myself from the morning after headache by sort of placing my hand in between the two of our heads.  Okay, so I'm not a punk crazy.  We smiled and shook hands.

I guess you just need to be surrounded by the right people.  If you piss of a Guy A at a punk concert, watch out.  He's a big jerk. 

Swingin Utters




Dropkick Murphys

No comments: