Thursday, July 14, 2011

Queen Kwong and LA Font @ Silverlake Lounge

Queen Kwong delivered us a crazy night.  All one has to do is spend ten minutes watching this video and you'll understand what I'm saying. The video shows Queen Kwong's last song. About halfway through the video, Carré (lead singer) walks off stage, waving. I took this as a sign that their set was finished. Not so. They continued on, providing us with a five minute jam session that including pacing, yelling . . . and then the full on destruction of a bass guitar. SLAM! SLAM! SLAM!  Okay, so the question is:  was that planned or inspired?  Whatever the answer via Queen Kwong, the question for many of you is:  why weren't you at Silverlake Lounge?    

Update 7/15:  So a friend sent me an e-mail asking why I didn't invite her to see a band called Godzilla or some band with a zilla in it.  What, I asked?  I went through a list of bands I'd seen over the last month or so, maybe she's thinking about Zola Jesus?  Zola, zilla, maybe?  No, she was talking about Queen Kwong.  I don't know how you get Godzilla from Queen Kwong, but I figure it is a funny little side story.   

My Mondays in Los Angeles are spent trying to circulate among the various Silverlake/Echo Park venues to catch the residency bands. LA Font is the July residency band at Silverlake.  I say this was particularly a night for the various bass players to shine.  The bass player for LA Font did not destroy his musical instrument at the end of their set, but he did shine in his own way.  On this night, he roamed the stage, enjoying some friendly riffs with the drummer, moving to the center of the stage to jam with the other band mates and swinging his bass guitar in all manner of directions. 

Queen Kwong






LA Font








No comments: