Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Movie Review. X-Men: First Class

X-Men: First Class. I really enjoyed this movie. I’m no expert on X-Men so forgive me if I totally misstate things here, but the premise of this movie is to start back at the beginning when Charles Xavier (Professor X) and Erik Lehnsherr (Magneto) started to notice their extraordinary powers. You can tell from the start why the two took different paths in life. Charles Xavier came from a family of wealth and therefore trusted the system. Erik Lehnsherr suffered through the holocaust and therefore did not trust the system. In many ways, as the movie indicates, Erik is correct (though obviously too vengeful) while Charles is too naive (he eventually realizes this as he creates a school that is hidden from all).

This is a movie that keeps your attention throughout. It is well-acted though I will say that the scenes that are fully focused on the “newbie” mutants are a bit awkward. The film does rely on James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Kevin Bacon to carry the movie. When I first saw that this movie was going to focus on the Cuban Missile Crisis my first thought was: wow, this is going to feel like a really dated movie, but they instead use it to great effect.

Now I have to give it up to Rose Bryne. Looking through her film history, I’ve seen a number of the films she stared in: 28 Weeks Later, Knowing, Get Him to the Greek; however, it wasn’t until Bridesmaids that she really stood out for me. And for this movie, she brought out a sweetness that would have gone missing otherwise.

No comments: