Sunday, May 2, 2010

Los Angeles Festival of Books: Conclusion, criticisms, tips



I've been going to the Festival of Books for years now. I'm not one of those who went to the very first book festival, but I do have some history.

I'm a panel goer so most of my thoughts revolve around that.

First, I've never gotten tickets in advance. I've always figured it is too difficult. So how do I get into the panels? For a number of years, I would get to a panel about 30 minutes in advance and wait outside the door. I believe I've been turned away only twice over a number of years. Recently; however, I've gone the morning ticket route. There is a ticket booth on the south side of UCLA. Here, you can get tickets for all the panels as they set aside 15% of the tickets. I've always gotten tickets for the panels I've wanted to see, but here's the catch: to guarantee this, I'd suggest showing up by 8:30 a.m. on Saturday and 9:00 a.m on Sunday -- the crowds thin out a tad on Sunday. Advantage of just waiting in hopes of there being enough seats left? You don't need to show up at 8:30 a.m. Advantage of showing up at 8:30 a.m.? You have more time to explore the many booths instead of sitting under the sun.

Photo of the ticket line.



Second, it seems to me that the panelists are less prestigious than in the past. Every year I've gone, I believe Royce Hall has been used. This year, no Royce Hall. Maybe another large hall is being used in its place, but I doubt it. It seems that the recession and the downfall of the LA Times has hit the ability to bring in larger name writers.

Third, conservative voices are essential nil at the panels. Over the years, the LA Times has tried to bring in both liberal and conservative voices -- obviously for issues such as the Middle East, history, economics. I don't really care if you're liberal or conservative, I would hope that when there is a panel you're really to listen to both sides. Unfortunately, in the past, conservatives have been booed to death. I think conservative voices now avoid this place like the plague. It is too bad.

Some other thoughts

The weather was great this year. Temperatures in the 70s rock.

Parking was $10. I believe last year it was $8.

I bought only one book for myself this year. "Water," by Steven Solomon. I think it'll be interesting.

I love the UCLA campus. I spend three years taking accounting courses on the campus. Beautiful. In fact, one year, a class was held on a Saturday. I skipped the class and did the festival instead.

Some additional photos

Early morning set-up



Couple photos of the lawn area.



No comments: