Saturday, May 15, 2010

Ashes Divide and Sweethead at Spaceland

It was off to see Ashes Divide and Sweethead at Spaceland. I try to make it out to a Monday night at Spaceland once a month.

The first band up was Ashes Divide. It was actually a long wait to hear Ashes Divide. I got to Spaceland at around 9:50 p.m. and they didn't go on stage till 10:30-ish. Initially, I was getting a bit irritated, but then as Spaceland started to fill up and folks began to press towards the stage I found myself getting excited by the vibe. When they finally got on stage, I enjoyed every minute of their set. Anyways, one thing I was watching out for -- rather or not the lead singer would run into his bandmate. He came close a couple times. A guy in the crowd noticed the lead singer sweating it out so he put a water bottle on stage for him. The lead singer never took a swag so as soon as the band left the stage, the guy in the crowd walked over, "I may as well get my water back. I was trying to be helpful."

Next up the the residency band, Sweethead. The set up was all profession, roadies and all -- actually there were roadies for Ashes Divide. The set list was carefully taped to the floor. The nice set list didn't last long as there was a spill almost as soon as their set started. I think the lead singer likes to throw things. She tried to throw a balloon into the audience (that didn't work out very well, of course). And towards the end of the set it looked like she was considering tossing her microphone. She does hop in heels rather well.

Comment of the night (Sweethead lead singer): I was trying to have a drink, but I only have water."

Noticed: Sweethead had a small unicorn up on stage.

Over-all: A great night of music.


Ashes Divide







Sweethead











No comments: