Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A Movie Review: Eyes Wide Shut

Eyes Wide Shut.  Secret sex clubs for the 0.1% -- the 1% need not apply?  Dr. William Harford (Tom Cruise) is an upper middle class doctor -- maybe he's even part of the 1% -- who just happens to have patients in the 0.1%.  He is invited to a holiday party by one of his patients, an individual in the 0.1%.  He brings his wife, Alice Harford (Nicole Kidman).  Dr. Harford runs into an old medical classmate who dropped out of med school to become a full-time musician and is playing in the house band.

What Dr. Harford thought was a perfect marriage is revealed to have a few cracks in it soon after the party ends.  Via his former classmate, he sneaks his way into a secret sex club.  It is a hyper sexual environment that he finds fascinating, but once he is discovered he learns that his actions result in unintended consequences.

This movie is slow and prodding, but also brilliant.  What one thinks would be many a man's sexual fantasy turns into a disaster.  The tonal soundtrack drives the viewer into the growing tension that surrounds Dr. Harford.

Now I saw this movie recently, but this was my second time watching it.  My first time was around the time it came out.  I don't recall if I saw it in the theater or at home on my DVD/VHS.  There are a number of scenes where you see Tom Cruise paying with $100 bills.  I remember those scenes really standing out for me.  Even now, some 15 years later and the inflation that comes during that period, those scenes still cause me to think, "Who carries that much money around with them?"  I guess the 1% do.


No comments: