Friday, May 30, 2014

A Dream: Back in College for a Test

I had a dream recently where I was back in college.  It was finals week.  The class was Literature.

Now this is a somewhat familiar dream.  I always have a dream where I enroll in a class, but only show up for perhaps 3 or 4 of the 12 classes.  Then comes along the final and I am in a panic before/during the test. This time I was in a test situation. It was a strange situation where the professor went beyond the call of duty.  She had us walk a hillside path.  There were posters set up at various positions along the path.  Famous quotes (many of them random nonsense that somehow bounced inside my head) were on the posters along with two names.  The test was to write down which of the two wrote the quote.  Of course, you needed to have read the books or attended classes to know the answer.  I was in a panic.  I looked at the quotes and felt exposed.  But no one else was pleased either.  When we reached the top of the hillside all the students started to protest this test.

The professor relented and turned it into a take home test.

We later came back together at class.  The professor was there, but her assistant did the talking.  The assistant started to slam all of us for not being prepared for the test and not taking the class seriously enough.  For some reason, I was the main target of his ire.  He looked at me and waved a story I had submitted.  He questioned my lack of vocabulary, saying I had a vocabulary of a high school student.  I attacked back saying I had no use for using a vocabulary that only the elite could understand (though I knew he was write, but I had to defend myself).    


No comments: