Friday, June 2, 2017

Peach Kelli Pop, Rotten Blossom and Mommy Long Legs at The Smell

I've always wanted to catch Peach Kelli Pop and the opportunity eventually came around. They were playing an early show at The Smell. I was thinking, "Hey, I can see Peach Kelli Pop at 9 p.m. and then just get back home by 10 p.m.-ish." Well, plans didn't work out. I got into a conversation with a guy who was from Seattle. He was hanging out with Seattle band Mommy Long Legs, which was playing third for the night. His excitement was so strong that I decided to stick around for them.

Back to Peach Kelli Pop. Their sound has this joyous outpouring. You just feel happy listening to their set. What was disappointing? They wanted to make sure that everyone was able to play according to schedule so they cut their set by a few minutes. I swear they could have squeezed in another song without problem. I guess that just means I'll need to catch them again someday.

Rotten Blossom was the middle band for me. They came in from Hawaii. That lead singer knows how to scream her lungs out. I was thinking, "Her vocal cords must hate her." They opened the set by having everyone join in saying, "Aloha."

Then came Mommy Long Legs. They produce that lo-fi punk sound. What did I notice: well, one can't help but notice that bright red wig the lead singer was wearing as well as the devil horns. The bassist went high school prom style. And one can't help but laugh at the play on Daddy Long Legs.

The Smell May 17

No comments: