Tuesday, January 12, 2016

My Favorite "Found" Bands in 2015

Well, I'm a little late here (my excuse -- works been a killer, work being the work that allows me to live for photography), but here's my favorite "found" bands of 2015 list. I say "found," because some of these bands have been around for awhile.

It was a three peat at the Echo on an October night. LA Witch followed by Colleen Green, both supported the residency of Kim and the Created. I got to watch one brilliant band after another. Back to back to back. It was like watching the LA Lakers winning 3 championships in a row. That October night was perfect.

I volunteered to do some photography at Culture Collide. I love Culture Collide, because I feel like I'm taking a quick trip across the globe. So what countries did I get to visit? Well, there was Level and Tyson from Norway and Mobivstrip from Peru. I got to catch Level and Tyson twice. I wish I had gotten the chance to see Mobivstrip twice.

Culture Collide wasn't the only music festival I got to attend in 2015. I also headed out to Make Music Pasadena and Brokechella. Make Music Pasadena started out with a home run as I ran into Juliet Piper. In fact, thinking back on the festival, she was the highlight. At Brokechella, Skye Townsend was nervous, but gave the performance of the festival. It was way too short of a set.

I came across the following 3 bands/musicians while heading out to catch other bands. I saw Elohim at the Echo. She's just amazing, a young version of IO Echo. I was off to see a friend play at Hotel Cafe and there was Katie Burden. And then at The Satellite, I got to catch LANY. During their set, I was thinking, this band is going to break out.

No comments: