My introduction to the alternative rock band Hardcastle was back in 2022 at a WFNM showcase. Time passed and I happened to notice that the band was playing Bar Lubitsch for another WFNM showcase. Somethings change and somethings do not change. Like what doesn't change is seeing the band at a WFNM showcase. While writing up this blog post, I decided to return to those 2022 days and checked out my photos of the Graham Laderman fronted band. I scrolled through my photos and then decided to go looking for my videos of the band. I didn't find a single video. Then it dawned on me that their set was prior to my decision to start taking videos of band performances. I did one additional check. I decided to see if I took a photo of their 2022 setlist. That, I did find. Here's a comparison of the two setlists:
| Hardcastle at Bar Lubitsch |
2022 Setlist: Something I've Been Waiting On, One More, Someone for You, Back To You, Mundane, The Distance.
2026 Setlist: Runnin, By Ur Side, Eyes, Mundane, Digital Novocain, Every Little Moment, Melancholy Angels.
The two setlists have only one song that was played on both: "Mundane." The reason for that is the band has been hard at work over the last year writing new material. They have an upcoming album and the first song getting released will by "Eyes" (their first release in about two years). Based on the crowd's response, the new music will find a receptive audience. The crowd especially gave props to "Digital Novocain." Laderman appreciated the call out from the crowd on that song as they are wondering what song to release after "Eyes."
| Hardcastle at Bar Lubitsch |
Humorous moment of the set: I didn't catch the whole set-up, but my guess is that someone in the audience said something negative that was overheard by Laderman. Laderman called the "heckler" out. The guy profusely apologized and insisted that his comment was being taken out of context and that it was referring to an event that occurred elsewhere. Lesson of the set is: don't talk during a Hardcastle set, because the band is listening.
The band ended the set playing "Melancholy Angels" that was written awhile back, but never released. The sing along tune left all in a good mood.
| Hardcastle at Bar Lubitsch |
As for the song spotlight, I'm going with the constant of the two sets, "Mundane." The band played (according to Spotify) their most popular song with confidence. Even a little glitch at the start was handled with aplomb as the band restarted the song without interruption. The alternative rock tune had the band showing off their hops (and in the case of the drummer, drum stick twirling abilities). A song about youth and being ever so slightly bored about life. The song was released in 2019, but I'm sure took on added weight during the pandemic shutdown.
Somebody save me from the mundaneI've been watching TV to entertain
No comments:
Post a Comment