Monday, July 5, 2010

Kissing Cousins, Rumspringa and We Barbarians at Spaceland

I walked into Spaceland and caught the last song of Kissing Cousins. I immediately wished I’d shown up a little earlier. The next band up was Rumspringa. One of the band members played their set in socks. Another in honor of being at Spaceland, made a handful of space alien jokes. A guy was right up front with a Viking hat. For some reason, I felt this was more appropriate for the residency band, We Barbarians, but he seemed to disappear before We Barbarians came on stage (or he got rid of the hat). What was nice about that night was that Spaceland was packed for both Kissing Cousins and Rumspringa. My general feeling is that the place usually isn't packed for the first band – and I have to admit that I generally skip the first band, as well. We Barbarians were the June residency band. I finally made it out to their last show. They had at least one huge fan in the audience. She had a poster of the band and it looked like she'd gotten all to sign it for her expect for one band member who she got to sign it right before the set. The band seemed to be having issues with the bass drum inching forward too much after each song, the drummer slamming the kick too hard.

Kissing Cousins





Rumspringa











We Barbarians


No comments: