Monday, April 18, 2016

A BROKE LA Band Interview: DWNTWN

DWNTWN
What was once Brokechella is now BROKE LA. The 2016 BROKE LA Music and Arts Festival kicks off on April 23rd. If you’ve gone to Brokechella over the last couple years, it should be noted that they’re moving locations to 695 S. Santa Fe Avenue. So still on the same downtown Los Angeles street, but just a bit south of the previous location. I got the opportunity to attend the Broke LA Artist and Media Mixer recently at Delicious Pizza and got to interview a band favorite DWNTWN along with Annuals and Salt Petal. I also got to scarf down a few slices of awesome pizza.

This post is my interview with DWNTWN. My interviews with Annuals and Salt Petal will be posted soon.

DWNTWN

We had a fun conversation before the official interview and during the interview. Food popped up a lot. The interview was held in a mini-bus (I don’t know what else to call it) with the full band, which includes Jamie (vocals), Robert (guitar/vocals), Chris (keyboards, bass) and Dan (drums). I highly recommend making time to catch this band at BROKE LA.  

Question:
My favorite DWNTWN song is ‘Stood Me Up.’ At the end of the music video, Jamie’s and Robert’s characters are eating breakfast at a diner. She then just takes off on him, leaving him with the bill. Has anyone ever done this or had it done to them before?
Answer:
Band: Robert does take off to go to the restroom whenever the bill is about to arrive. He leaves his wallet there. But no, no one has actually done the dine and dash.
Jamie: When the song was written, it wasn’t mean to be taken literally as someone getting stood up. It was about someone hurting me and me learning how to be stronger.
Chris: I don’t recall that part of the video. [Group response: have you watched the video?]

Question:
What are some of your interesting concert/show stories?
Answer:
Dan: A toothless woman tried making out with me – not that I have anything against those with poor dental hygiene.
Jamie: A guy wanted a photo and kept asking if he could kiss me on the cheek. When I turned my head, he kissed me on the lips.
Robert: We had a stalker in San Francisco. A blond guy. He was interested in my sister and I finally had to ask him to leave us alone.
Band.  We were on tour with El Ten Eleven. At the end of the tour, the band asked us if we wanted to snort fog juice with them. We were like, “Yeah, let’s join in.” [I was looking a touch confused so they explained.] Fog juice is the liquid you put in the fog machine, it’s a water/chemical mixture.

Question:
What are some of your favorite local Los Angeles bands?
Answer:
Robert: Midnight Faces. The lead vocal’s voice is insane. I’d really like to collaborate with them soon.
Dan: MUNA.
Robert: Little Wolves. Kid Cadaver.
Band. Dan also plays in band called raener.

Question:
Let’s talk about food.
Answer:
Jamie: Trader Joe’s is like church for me. A former executive is also opening up a grocery store called Daily Table that will sell low priced foods that are at the sell-by date or items like fruits and vegetables that don’t have that perfect look. There is just so much food that it tossed out.
Robert: I recently made Japanese curry with katsu chicken.
Jamie. I made some pesto pasta and a salad with vegetables from Robert’s mom’s garden.

Question:
So I have to ask, Jamie, how did you get to flipping your hair on stage?
Answer:
Jamie: My hair gets in my eyes so I have to flip it away. It is one of the only times I feel girlie.
Band: In all other aspects, she’s a dude.

Question:
Here’s a serious question, what are your goals for 2016?
Answer:
Jamie: I like to take one step at a time.
Band: We have new music for release. We have an EP ready. We want to share our music.
Dan: We want to see growth between our EP releases. See if we get positive reactions and build on that.




No comments: