Friday, April 25, 2014

Brokechella 2014: A Fabulous DIY Music Festival

Brokechella. I got to Brokechella at 2:45 p.m. The festival area was at 590 Santa Fe Studios, across the street and south of Villains Tavern. The area was buzzing as the festival organizers were putting on the final touches. I spent my initial moments getting myself situated and then walking around the various art installations. And then it was off . . .



















StaG. Ambient rock with an occasional touch of country. There was a nice crowd at the Cartel stage for the early set and it was a great way to start off the day. “I see you . . . “

StaG
Kitchen Hips. I rushed over to The Lounge to catch her final tunes. As I was walking in, she was off running into the crowd. She sings some mournful tunes, inspired by her love of Bob Dylan. “I want to live again . . .”

Kitchen Hips
The Singles. This was rock & roll from “Happy Days.” “Heart of stone . . .”

Singles
ZiBBZ. Hey, I’m an American and so Sweden/Switzerland, it is all the same just like Austria/Australia. I was thinking during their set, “The Swedes really are invading the Los Angeles music scene. Icona Pop, ZiBBZ.” Then as I was writing this post up, I went to their Facebook page, “Oh wait, they’re from Switzerland.” This band needs to share a stage with one of my favorite local bands, The Shakers, at the Viper Room. “But I really know you’d like to see me naked later . . . Let me dance in neon lights on Sunset Boulevard . . .”

ZiBBZ
Katie Boeck. She’s a songstress named Katie Boeck, which rhymes with Broke . . . chella. That’s what she said, not me. “You’re all I need . . . “

Katie Boeck
Hona Costello.  It was time for a hip hop set at the Brownies and Lemonade Stage. “I want everyone to smoke something, drink something . . .”

Hona Costello
Dark Furs. There is a passion in vocalist Suzanne May’s voice that wants to make sure you understand her lyrics. “I’m losing interest in my current situation . . . “

Dark Furs
Liz Oppenheimer. Major award here: best effort, singing on crutches with a medical boot on her right foot. Her songs drip with satirical lyrics. “There will be cameras chasing me, like Diana in Pari. I’m a princess in the making . . . There will be statues made for me . . . I will party every night. And my BFFs will fight. Just make sure it is reported.”

Liz Oppenheimer
The Mots Nouveaux. I love this band and I do believe those in The Lounge loved them, as well. There was a significant amount of cheering and clapping throughout the set. “Now they tell me you have eyes for me . . . Baby that’s news to me . . . “

The Mots Nouveaux
Kera and the Lesbians. I saw this band about two years ago, playing at The Bootleg. I remember it being one of the most emotional sets I’ve seen. One thing I forgot and quickly remembered about that set two years ago is that Kera moves around so much that she makes life difficult for a photographer. “I’ll still love you until my dying day . . . “

Kera and the Lesbians
After Kera and The Lesbians, I jumped about, catching bits of three sets. It was off to the Shifty Rhythms stage where Earnest Blount and Saint had the crowd in a dance club frenzy. I noticed a number of folks at the back of the stage, looking at something below them. I headed on over, which resulted in a new photography desire: photograph skateboarders. Then it was off to catch Raven Sorvino, “Do you all know where Leimert Park is?”

Raven Sorvino
Earnest Blount
Saint
ANIMALS of KIN. So seriously, what do you do when you swear you recognize members of a band and you know for sure it isn’t because they might have attended the same high school as you? Well, this being Los Angeles, you go to IMDB, of course. Lead singer Sarah Roemer was in a television series called “The Event.” Guitarist Tim Jo is on The Neighbors. “There you go with all your funny little ways . . .”

ANIMALS of KIN
HOTT MT. After seeing ANIMALS of KIN, I don’t think I can be blamed for seeing the lead singer of HOTT MT and thinking, is that Ellen Page? The lead singer would look into the audience and I wasn’t sure she was seeing anyone; instead, I think she was looking inwardly. This was the band that I really wanted to see. I looked up their music and it sounded gorgeous. I wasn’t disappointed. “Can I drown, in a frozen sea . . .”

HOTT MT
yOya. Soothing, stunning, go see this band. They had some technical difficulties so a joke was given: “Should I tell a potassium joke? K.” Someone out in the audience who is obviously a chemist yelled out, “I get it.” “Am I seeing what I want, or just some fool’s gold . . . “

yOya
I’m waiting for next year and not just because of the great music, but because I want to photograph more skateboarders. I figure if I catch the skaters while the sun is up, I can use a more advantageous camera setting . . .


No comments: