Friday, May 17, 2013

A Neutra house on Silver Lake

I got a chance to head over to the Neutra VDL house.

Since I'm no architect, I'll let the website explain the house:

Looking across Silver Lake reservoir to the opposite eastern shore one could see, by the end of 1933, a recently completed radically “modern” two-story house: a markedly horizontal composition with a repetition of identical casement windows running from edge to edge of its box-like form; a simple volume defined by a skin like enclosure and capped by a thin flat roof plane; a façade without the distractions of color or ornament. This house was the embodiment of then current European avant-garde design scarcely known to the people of Los Angeles.

Some of my thoughts:  I loved the two kitchens (one on each level).  I loved the rooftop.  I didn't exactly like the size of the bedrooms.  In one bedroom, there were a long row of buttons -- I couldn't help but wonder what they controlled.

No comments: