Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Jean Paul Yamamoto at Safari Sam's

I saw this band called Jean Paul Yamamoto at Safari Sam’s in Hollywood Tuesday night. It’s this Asian band with a Caucasian drummer. I did a little research and the lead singer/guitar player is Lun*na Menoh, a Japanese artist. Their set started out with a lady coming out on stage with a stack of paper with written words on each sheet, which she proceeded to toss across the stage one by one as the audience read what was on each sheet. I wasn’t sure if this was the start of the show or not. It was of course, and was a uniquely artistic way to open a set. It was too bad I didn’t pay closer attention to the written word. The band than proceeded came on stage and started their set. There were two ladies, one on each side, dressed in white, looking like either angels or characters from sci-fi cartoons. They slowly swept their arms around as the band sang. The music itself has an electronic feel to it. The other three members; a guitar player, drummer and singer/guitar were also dressed in white. What was interesting about the whole set was that the two ladies made three costume changes throughout the set, but for some reason I was preoccupied by other things on the stage that I didn’t even notice them exiting. I’m not exactly sure how that occurred since this isn’t a band that provides you with a big stage show. Perhaps it is just the subtle action on stage during these transitions that caused me to get distracted. And oh, there’s that big white wig that the lead singer wears.

Notes from Vivace

No comments: